Updated March 2017.
Today you will learn how to easily start your own blog.
Included in this post is an exclusive discount for my readers. This discount can only be guaranteed when you sign up through my link. It includes up to 40% off the regular price and a FREE domain name.
This is an incredible deal that allows you to easily start a blog for cheap. I regularly keep in touch with a contact at Bluehost to make sure this post always has the lowest price possible.
You can click here to get this special discount and scroll down to STEP 1 to follow my easy step-by-step tutorial.
So you want to start a blog, or maybe you already own a free blog and want to go self-hosted and make it look more professional.
You have come to the right place! As one of my most requested posts, today I am going to teach you how to start a self-hosted WordPress blog (which I use for Mint Notion).
First, I’m going to be completely honest with you — starting a self-hosted WordPress blog is the easy part.
Growing your blog audience and income, on the other hand, takes a genuine effort. This isn’t something that happens overnight, but it is possible to make money with your blog in the first few months.
Starting a self-hosted WordPress blog has literally changed my life and I’m so excited that you want to learn how to start your own blog too!
Here’s how blogging has changed my life:
- I started my blog as a hobby and now it’s my full-time job
- Starting a blog has boosted my confidence
- I get emails every single day about how my blog has inspired my readers in a positive way
- Starting a blog has helped me to become more mindful and live with intention
Before I started my blog, I thought there was going to be a huge learning curve since I wasn’t very tech savvy. Fortunately though, that wasn’t the case.
You don’t have to have any technical expertise in order to start a self-hosted WordPress blog.
If I can do it, you can too! Seriously!
I believe that everyone should start a blog. We all have something to say or want to spread awareness about a cause that is important to us.
Your blog can be about anything you want it to be – it’s a spot on the internet that you can call your very own.
If you’re interested in starting your own blog, I created a free 7-day email course to help you start a blog and learn how to make it successful. You can join below!
OK, so you’re interested in starting a blog –- but you’re thinking – why would anyone pay for a blog when you can start one for free on Blogger or WordPress.com?
That’s a good question, and for someone like me who blogs about frugal living, I was a little nervous about taking the leap and starting a self-hosted blog.
Before starting my blog, I spent A LOT of time researching all of my options, and starting a self-hosted WordPress blog with Bluehost was the best choice for me.
If you’re interested in making money from your blog, freelancing or turning your blog into a business, then paying for your hosting (through Bluehost for example) is a MUST. I trust Bluehost web hosting, which is why I use them for my own blog. It’s extremely cheap to get started and you can run any of your own advertisements, affiliate links, product sales, etc. with a blog using Bluehost.If you want to make money from blogging, then paying for your web hosting is a must #bloggingtipsClick To Tweet
I used to have a free blog on Blogger, but it was extremely difficult to grow my readership and make money. In most cases, making money from a free blog never happens.
Once I made the switch to a self-hosted site, I was able to make enough money from my blog within the first few months to cover the cost of paid hosting. If you are currently using a free blogging platform, you can easily transfer your blog to a self-hosted site.
Why you should start a self-hosted WordPress.org blog (as opposed to a free blog):
- Having your own domain name (which looks like yourdomainname.com) gives your blog instant credibility.
- Search engines and brands / companies take your blog more seriously when you use paid hosting. After social media, my second largest source of traffic is from Google organic search.
- It’s hard to make money using a free blogging platform. I know that you might be starting your blog as a hobby right now, but if you would like to turn it into a business someday and monetize your blog, it’s a lot easier to do when you are self-hosted. It’s not impossible to make money on a free blog, but there are a lot of limitations since you don’t have full access to your website.
- Paid hosting gives you full control over your blog’s brand. This means that you can customize your website anyway you want since you have complete control over your blog. Free blogs may let you change your template, however you may not be able to customize the template as you wish, since access to your HTML editor is limited.
- Free blogs have limited storage and bandwidth. Choosing paid hosting on the other hand gives you ownership of your blog, full control of your blog and the branding options that your blog needs in order to grow and become successful.
In order to own and have full control over your website, you will need to pay for hosting, such as through Bluehost. Then you can download the free Wordpress.org software to create your website or blog, which I’ll show you how to install.
Here is a helpful infographic I created to explain the technical side of blogging:
The one thing that all successful bloggers have in common, is that they started a blog. They chose to take that critical first step today, rather than wait until tomorrow. They know that the secret to getting ahead is getting started, and they believed in their idea of launching their own blog.
By starting a blog today, you’ll be ahead of everyone else who thought about launching a blog, but have not taken that essential first step of starting a blog.A year from now you'll wish that you had started today.Click To Tweet
There are many web hosting companies to choose from, but Bluehost is one of the best and I trust them with my own blog. Most professional bloggers recommend and use Bluehost for their website as this creates the right technical foundation for a successful blog.
It’s super easy to start a self-hosted WordPress blog with Bluehost, it takes only a few clicks and your blog will be live in no time. You can use this simple step-by-step tutorial below to help you start your own self-hosted WordPress blog.
If you’re interested in learning how to start a WordPress blog on Bluehost, please continue below. If you sign up on Bluehost, but are confused about any of the steps, you can always send me an email or open Live Chat on Bluehost. I’m more than happy to help!
Disclosure: This post contains some affiliate links and I may earn a small commission (at no additional cost to you) if you choose to purchase a package through one of these links. Please understand I only ever recommend products that I have used myself and believe you would like too. Thanks for supporting Mint Notion!
Since I love finding deals, Bluehost is offering my readers a special rate of $3.95/month (which is an incredible deal to pay for a professional blog). I don’t know how long this low rate will be offered for, so I recommend taking advantage of this deal before it’s gone. This special rate of $3.95/month is only guaranteed through the link below.
Bluehost has 24/7 customer service and a 30-day money back guarantee, so it’s okay if you change your mind after purchasing a package – however I’m confident that you’re going to love your new self-hosted WordPress blog – like I did after starting mine. Even after 11 months, you can get your money refunded for any months you paid for but haven’t used yet.
As you can see, there are many benefits of using Bluehost to start your blog. Thanks to their money-back guarantee, there is very little risk of starting a blog through Bluehost, and a lot of potential to make money blogging.
Step 1: Select your hosting package
You can click the green Get Started Now button at Bluehost to get started.
I recommend choosing the Basic starter package as that’s really all you need and it’s a great price!
Step 2: Register your domain name
I suggest putting some thought into the name you choose. It doesn’t have to be long or super catchy – in fact, a short and simple domain name is usually the best choice.
I know it’s easy to overthink your domain name, but remember that the value of your blog is in the content that you put into it. There are many successful blogs today that have odd names. Even my blog name is not perfect (Mint Notion), but I like it and it works for me.
I recommend registering your name through Bluehost since it keeps everything streamlined, and you get a FREE domain name if you purchase a 12 month (or longer) blog hosting plan (a $15.99 value).
Buying a 12 month (or longer) blog hosting plan gives you a cheaper price and it’s well worth it to get the free domain name. Once you’ve chosen your free domain name, the next step is simply to fill out your contact details and payment information.
You can uncheck any of the extra add-ons, as they will only increase the cost of starting your blog. I do recommend though choosing “Domain Privacy Protection”, which is only $0.83/month. This keeps your details private.
Note: If you’re registering a free domain name, you can skip the next part and head straight to Step 3 to install WordPress.
Already have a paid domain name?
If you already have a domain name that you bought from a website like GoDaddy, you will need to connect it to your web hosting account. It’s easy to connect your domain name to Bluehost, just choose the second option on the page instead of registering a new domain name.
Follow these instructions to connect your GoDaddy domain to Bluehost.
How to modify, add or delete name servers (DNS) for your domain(s):
- Log into the GoDaddy.com Account Manager.
- From the Domain Name drop-down menu or the Manage Your Account list, select Manage Domains.
- Using the checkboxes, select the domain name you wish to modify and then click Set Name Servers.
- Enter your updated name server information in the spaces provided under the blue Name Servers heading on the right side of your page and click Save Changes at the bottom. Your entries should look like this: ns1.bluehost.com; ns2.bluehost.com
You will then need to select the domain name you bought (such as through GoDaddy) as an Add On Domain through your Bluehost cpanel. Click on Domain Manager, then select “Assign a Domain to Your cPanel Account”. Follow these steps and it is very easy!
Step 3: Install WordPress
Now that you have purchased your Bluehost hosting package and chosen your domain name, the final step is to Install WordPress. I love using WordPress as my blogging software and I highly recommend it to every blogger.
Bluehost makes it very easy to create a WordPress blog and it’s FREE. If you get stuck on any step, you can always send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or open Live Chat on Bluehost.
Here are the instructions to Install WordPress:
- Log into your Bluehost cPanel Account (you will receive this link in your welcome email from Bluehost).
- Find the Website section and select Install WordPress.
- On the next screen, click on Start in front of the WordPress installation pop-up.
- On the next page, choose the domain name you want to install WordPress on. Click the dropdown menu to the domain you want to use.
- Now you need to click Advanced Options. This is where you can change your username and password. Choose a username that is simple, but one you will remember (don’t choose “Admin” as this is too easy).
- You will also want to check Automatically Create a New Database and check that you read the Terms and Conditions.
- Then click Install Now.
- You will receive an email with your login and password, which you can use to login to your WordPress dashboard.
CONGRATULATIONS! YOU DID IT!
Now you can log into your WordPress dashboard and select a nice design for your site, which is called a “theme”.
The URL for your dashboard should be: yourblogname.com/wp-admin/
I recommend going with a Genesis theme for your new site. Genesis has built-in SEO and a ton of other great plugins that make it easy to change the look and feel of your blog.
I once read that if you’re building a house, WordPress would be the foundation and Genesis Framework is the steel frame. Then your house is finished with a roof, drywall, paint and decor — which is your design. When using Genesis, this is called your Genesis Child Theme. Since I’ve made the switch to Genesis for Mint Notion, I can’t imagine having a blog that wasn’t built on the Genesis Framework.
Once your site runs on the Genesis Framework, you can choose from a variety of Genesis Child Themes, which is the design of your blog. I currently use the Pretty Chic Theme by Pretty Darn Cute Design. I absolutely love the Pretty Chic Theme. It’s also mobile responsive and eCommerce ready, which is a great tool I want to set up on Mint Notion someday.
For more information about all the blogging tools I use for Mint Notion, feel free to check out my Resource Page.
Here are some helpful posts to kick-start your blogging journey…
Growing Your Blog Traffic:
- 6 actionable tips to increase your blog traffic
- Increase your Pinterest audience by over 1,200% in just 3 months
- 10 ways to take better Instagram photos
Growing Your Email List:
Making Money From Blogging:
- Beginner’s guide to making money through blogging
- September Blog Income Report – $1,274
- October Blog Income Report – $2,300
- 3 ways to increase your affiliate earnings
Blogging Resources & Tools:
If you have any questions about starting a self-hosted WordPress blog, please leave me a comment or send me an email at email@example.com. I’m more than happy to help you, that’s what I’m here for!
Also, if you do start a blog, please send me the link to your website. I’d love to check it out!
If you’re interested in starting your own blog, I created a free 7-day email course to help you start a blog and learn how to make it successful. This free course will help you find your niche and target audience, grow your blog readership, and learn how to make money with blogging. You can join below!Learn how to easily start a self-hosted WordPress blog with this free tutorial #bloggingtipsClick To Tweet
If you know someone that wants to start a blog or website, please share this tutorial with them! Thank you, I really appreciate your support!
Start A Successful Blog - The RIGHT Way!
This 7-day FREE email course will help you start a blog and learn how to make it successful. Join now!