Updated May 2017.
Today you will learn how to easily start your own blog. Starting a self-hosted WordPress blog has literally changed my life and I’m so excited that you want to learn how to start your own blog too!
How blogging changed my life:
- I started my blog as a hobby and now I earn a full-time income from blogging (last month I made nearly $7,000 from my blog)
- Starting a blog has boosted my confidence
- Blogging has given me the freedom to escape the 9-5 lifestyle and make money doing what I love!
- I get emails every single day about how my blog has inspired my readers in a positive way
- Starting a blog has helped me to become more mindful and live with intention
Included in this post is an exclusive discount for my readers. This discount can only be guaranteed when you sign up through my link. It includes up to 40% off the regular price and a FREE domain name.
This is an incredible deal that allows you to easily start a blog for cheap. I regularly keep in touch with a contact at Bluehost to make sure this post always has the lowest price possible.
You can click here to get this special discount and scroll down to STEP 1 to follow my easy step-by-step tutorial.
As I have already mentioned, blogging has changed my life. It’s allowed me to work from home, have a flexible schedule, travel anytime I want, and more. Just a few years ago, I was unhappy at a dead end job and now I am my own boss! It’s amazing how much my life has improved and I feel so blessed.
Before I started my blog, I thought there was going to be a huge learning curve since I wasn’t very tech savvy. Fortunately though, this wasn’t the case.
You don’t have to have any technical expertise in order to start a self-hosted WordPress blog.
If I can do it, you can too! Seriously!
I believe that everyone should start a blog. We all have something to say or want to spread awareness about a cause that is important to us.
Your blog can be about anything you want it to be – it’s a spot on the internet that you can call your very own. Plus, anyone can make money with a blog. I’m not special or talented. I never even heard of WordPress before I started my blog. I learned absolutely everything from scratch.
If you’re interested in starting your own blog, I created a free 7-day email course to help you start a blog and learn how to make it successful. You can join below!
OK, so you’re interested in starting a blog –- but you’re thinking – “Why can’t I just start a free blog on Blogger?”
NO! You don’t want to do this and there are many reasons why starting a blog on Blogger / Blogspot is a bad idea. If you want to start a blog, build an audience, and make money from blogging, then your best option is to start a WordPress blog on Bluehost.
Before starting my blog, I spent A LOT of time researching all of my options, and starting a self-hosted WordPress blog with Bluehost was hands down the best choice. Bluehost is one of the top web hosting companies of 2017 and it’s super easy and affordable to start your own blog with them.
If you’re interested in making money from your blog, freelancing or turning your blog into a business, then paying for your hosting (through Bluehost for example) is a MUST. It’s extremely cheap to get started and you can run any of your own advertisements, affiliate links, product sales, etc. with a blog using Bluehost.
It’s really difficult to make money from free Blogger websites and many advertisers don’t view them as professional as self-hosted WordPress blogs. This is why I always recommend Bluehost to anyone who wants to start their own blog.If you want to make money from blogging, then paying for your web hosting is a must #bloggingtipsClick To Tweet
After starting my self-hosted WordPress blog with Bluehost, I was able to make enough money from my blog within the first few months to cover the cost of paid hosting. If you are currently using a free blogging platform, you can easily transfer your blog to a self-hosted site.
Benefits of starting a blog with Bluehost (as opposed to a free blog):
- When you sign up through my tutorial, Bluehost gives you a FREE domain name. Having your own domain name (which looks like yourdomainname.com) gives your blog instant credibility.
- Bluehost is the best affordable paid hosting. Plus, search engines and brands take your blog more seriously when you use paid hosting.
- It’s almost impossible to make money using a free blog. You may not be paying for hosting with a free blog, but you are “paying” in other ways. Free blogs usually have slower speeds, it’s hard to run advertisements on them, they don’t rank well in search engines because Google favors self-hosted websites, and they have limited customization options. These limitations can prevent you from growing your blog and monetizing your passion. That’s why I recommend starting a blog with Bluehost to ensure that you have the right foundation.
- Paid hosting, such as through Bluehost, gives you full control over your blog’s brand. This means that you can customize your website any way you want since you have complete control over your blog. Plus, Bluehost offers technical support, which is great if you’re new to blogging.
- WordPress is FREE when you sign up for Bluehost. Bluehost host makes it easy with the 1-click installation to download WordPress. This gives you total control over your website and allows you to customize it anyway you wish!
Below is a helpful infographic I created to explain the technical side of blogging. Step 2, which is web hosting is the only expense you need to pay for when starting a self-hosted WordPress blog through Bluehost. This means that you can start a blog for as low as $3.95 per month, which is a special price for Mint Notion readers. Plus, you’ll receive a free domain name when you sign up through my tutorial.
The one thing that all successful bloggers have in common, is that they started a blog. They chose to take that critical first step today, rather than wait until tomorrow. They know that the secret to getting ahead is getting started, and they believed in their idea of launching their own blog.
By starting a blog today, you’ll be ahead of everyone else who thought about launching a blog, but have not taken that essential first step of starting a blog.The key to SUCCESS is to START before you're readyClick To Tweet
There are many web hosting companies to choose from, but Bluehost is one of the best and I trust them with my own blog. Most professional bloggers recommend and use Bluehost for their website as this creates the right technical foundation for a successful blog.
It’s super easy to start a self-hosted WordPress blog with Bluehost, it takes only a few clicks and your blog will be live in no time. You can use this simple step-by-step tutorial below to help you start your own self-hosted WordPress blog.
Since I love finding deals, Bluehost is offering my readers a special rate of $3.95/month (which makes it super affordable to start a money-making blog). I don’t know how long this low rate will be offered for, so I recommend taking advantage of this deal before it’s gone. This special rate of $3.95/month is only guaranteed through the link below.
Bluehost has 24/7 customer service and a 30-day money back guarantee, so it’s okay if you change your mind after purchasing a package. If you get stuck on anything when setting up your blog, just send me an email or open Live Chat with Bluehost. I’m happy to help!
As you can see, there are many benefits of using Bluehost to start your blog. Thanks to their money-back guarantee, there is very little risk of starting a blog through Bluehost, and a lot of potential to make money blogging.
Step 1: Select your hosting package
You can click the green Get Started Now button at Bluehost to get started.
I recommend choosing the Basic starter package as that’s really all you need and it’s a great price!
Step 2: Register your domain name
I suggest putting some thought into the name you choose. It doesn’t have to be long or super catchy – in fact, a short and simple domain name is usually the best choice.
I know it’s easy to overthink your domain name, but remember that the value of your blog is in the content that you put into it. There are many successful blogs today that have odd names. Even my blog name is not perfect (Mint Notion), but I like it and it works for me.
I recommend registering your name through Bluehost since it keeps everything streamlined, and you get a FREE domain name if you purchase a 12 month (or longer) blog hosting plan (a $15.99 value).
Buying a 12 month (or longer) blog hosting plan gives you a cheaper price and it’s well worth it to get the free domain name. Once you’ve chosen your free domain name, the next step is simply to fill out your contact details and payment information.
You can uncheck any of the extra add-ons, as they will only increase the cost of starting your blog. I do recommend though choosing “Domain Privacy Protection”, which is only $0.83/month. This keeps your details private.
Note: If you’re registering a free domain name, you can skip the next part and head straight to Step 3 to install WordPress.
Already have a paid domain name?
If you already have a domain name that you bought from a website like GoDaddy, you will need to connect it to your web hosting account. It’s easy to connect your domain name to Bluehost, just choose the second option on the page instead of registering a new domain name.
Follow these instructions to connect your GoDaddy domain to Bluehost.
How to modify, add or delete name servers (DNS) for your domain(s):
- Log into the GoDaddy.com Account Manager.
- From the Domain Name drop-down menu or the Manage Your Account list, select Manage Domains.
- Using the checkboxes, select the domain name you wish to modify and then click Set Name Servers.
- Enter your updated name server information in the spaces provided under the blue Name Servers heading on the right side of your page and click Save Changes at the bottom. Your entries should look like this: ns1.bluehost.com; ns2.bluehost.com
You will then need to select the domain name you bought (such as through GoDaddy) as an Add On Domain through your Bluehost cpanel. Click on Domain Manager, then select “Assign a Domain to Your cPanel Account”. Follow these steps and it is very easy!
Step 3: Install WordPress
Now that you have purchased your Bluehost hosting package and chosen your domain name, the final step is to Install WordPress. I love using WordPress as my blogging software and I highly recommend it to every blogger.
Bluehost makes it very easy to create a WordPress blog and it’s FREE. If you get stuck on any step, you can always send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or open Live Chat on Bluehost.
Here are the instructions to Install WordPress:
- Log into your Bluehost cPanel Account (you will receive this link in your welcome email from Bluehost).
- Find the Website section and select Install WordPress.
- On the next screen, click on Start in front of the WordPress installation pop-up.
- On the next page, choose the domain name you want to install WordPress on. Click the dropdown menu to the domain you want to use.
- Now you need to click Advanced Options. This is where you can change your username and password. Choose a username that is simple, but one you will remember (don’t choose “Admin” as this is too easy).
- You will also want to check Automatically Create a New Database and check that you read the Terms and Conditions.
- Then click Install Now.
- You will receive an email with your login and password, which you can use to login to your WordPress dashboard.
CONGRATULATIONS! YOU DID IT!
Now you can log into your WordPress dashboard and select a nice design for your site, which is called a “theme”.
The URL for your dashboard should be: yourblogname.com/wp-admin/
If you’re not ready to pay for a theme, that’s okay. There are lots of free WorPress themes available here. I used a free theme in the beginning, then switched to a paid theme when I got serious about blogging. The only downside of using a free theme is that it comes with limited features and it can be hard to customize.
If you want to choose a paid WordPress theme, I recommend going with a Genesis theme for your new site. Genesis has built-in SEO and a ton of other great plugins that make it easy to change the look and feel of your blog.
I once read that if you’re building a house, WordPress would be the foundation and Genesis Framework is the steel frame. Then your house is finished with a roof, drywall, paint and decor — which is your design. When using Genesis, this is called your Genesis Child Theme. Since I’ve made the switch to Genesis for Mint Notion, I can’t imagine having a blog that wasn’t built on the Genesis Framework.
Once your site runs on the Genesis Framework, you can choose from a variety of Genesis Child Themes, which is the design of your blog. I currently use the Pretty Chic Theme by Pretty Darn Cute Design. I absolutely love the Pretty Chic Theme. It’s also mobile responsive and eCommerce ready, which is a great tool I want to set up on Mint Notion someday.
For more information about all the blogging tools I use for Mint Notion, feel free to check out my Resource Page.
Helpful posts to kick-start your blogging journey
Growing Your Blog Traffic:
- 6 actionable tips to increase your blog traffic
- Increase your Pinterest audience by over 1,200% in just 3 months
- Blog Traffic Report – February 2017
- Blog Traffic Report – March 2017
Growing Your Email List:
Making Money From Blogging:
- How to make money blogging for beginners
- September Blog Income Report – $1,274
- October Blog Income Report – $2,300
- 3 ways to increase your affiliate earnings
Blogging Resources & Tools:
If you have any questions about starting a self-hosted WordPress blog, please leave me a comment or send me an email at email@example.com. I’m more than happy to help you, that’s what I’m here for!
Also, if you do start a blog, please send me the link to your website. I’d love to check it out!Learn how to easily start a self-hosted WordPress blog with this free tutorial #bloggingtipsClick To Tweet
If you know someone that wants to start a blog or website, please share this tutorial with them!
Start A Successful Blog - The RIGHT Way!
This 7-day FREE email course will help you start a blog and learn how to make it successful. Join now!